Hale End Road
The proposed apartment building sits comfortably within its context, whilst also expressing a character which conveys its contemporary typology. The architectural language is of its time yet looks back to successful local precedents for inspiration and character. A robust and high quality design will contribute to the character of the locale and creates a pleasant and safe place to live. The proposed building is three storeys in the main (respectively), and is stepped down to accommodate changes in the site topography and adjacent buildings.
The buildings aims to keep to a scale appropriate to the area and to define a way forward for further development. Special attention has been given to the front of the building through landscaping and subtle articulations of the elevation and form so that the proposal forms a positive contribution to the street and wider area.
The design development has been led by the following principals and objectives:
• respect the building line of the neighbouring buildings and street;
• respond to the extents of the existing office and residential buildings around the site;
• articulate the form to create a respectful relationship with the mass of the corner building;
• emphasise a shared entrance;
• create an architecture influenced by the local character;
• restrained use of ornamentation on the street facade to lift the character of the building and relate it to adjacent buildings;
• animate the street front with gardens; and
• provide a shared garden at the core of the scheme.